Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Tracing It

Today was the third time that my daily ride took me onto the Natchez Trace. I'm amazed that I don't ride on it more often. Actually, I'm really not that amazed. I ride about 50 minutes to the Trace and then maybe 20 minutes on the Trace and then back onto regular roads till I get home again. A total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's a great stretch of road to ride on. Even at rush hour there is no one on it; largely because there are no regular entrances and exits to it. I figure if I can just ban cars from my daily routes it'll be so much nicer. Sadly, that will never happen; but I can still dream of that day.

It's sad that the summer is slowly leaving. It's about 55 degrees when I wake up in the mornings. Granted, it's about 80 by mid-day but still I do not have the opportunity of enjoying the mid-day as much as I once did. I am guilty, I am one of those people who like the cold weather when it's July and love the heat in January. At least that means I'm looking forward to the weather turning a bit cooler; but come January, I'm not going to be happy about the development.

I do like riding in the cool weather, it reminds me of those lighter days in Kansas. Ah yes, the garden of eden that is Kansas. How I miss you when I'm gone and remember how bitter cold the winds are when I'm there. I gave the security guard a copy of my Kansas Alumni magazine. He was amazed...I really think he is going to enroll. I have nothing but love for my alma mater. I mean come on it made me into the man I am today.

Conservative Guy told me that I should keep it as a special place in my heart and use my visits back to recharge my youth when I need it. I keep thinking that I should have gone to school other places...I'm sure everyone thinks about how it could have been different if you did. But then I think, that I am so happy with the way things have turned out that why try to change that. I mean if I went somewhere else, then I wouldn't have such fond memories of Mass St., Wescoe Beach and Clinton Lake. I wouldn't remember nights that I have now forgotten. Days when Conservative Guy and I would struggle to stay awake in legal history class because of the shenanigans we pulled off the night before. I couldn't trade those memories for anything else. I mean there was a reason that God sent me to Kansas...I think it was a blessing and a way of saying that God does love me and hates Mizzou.

No comments: