Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The First Day Back in the Gym

It is an annual thing for me. Once-a-year I go back to the gym for a period of about 12 weeks. It is a tradition that in the off-season I endeavor to put some muscle onto my others anorexic frame. Today is set for that first day. Just as a note, I dislike the gym. I don't like gyms in general because I've never been really the gym-guy. I've always been strong and/or fit, but I've never been that guy who can lift tons of weight and his as cut as the Rocky Mountains.

Therefore, I'm a little embarrassed by my gym going. I think the really embarrassing thing is my complete inability to bench press. I think that the rest of my weight lifting routine is or somehow soon becomes respectable but bench press never breaks into the remotely respectable range. For one reason or another bench press has become the symbol of strength. I don't know how this happened, but I really wish it would unhappen.

The thing I'm not looking forward to is tomorrow morning when I'm so sore that I cannot get out of bed. I hate that feeling, but at least I know I'm doing something then. My favorite thing is the stupid feeling you get right as you have started working out. About two days into it, you get this urge to check the mirror to see if you've gotten huge. Nothing works that quick...but I still do it. Come Friday afternoon I'm going to be standing there just trying to make myself imagine that I'm ripped.

No comments: