Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Lost Summer

For something close to 26 years I've been told that the summer is the time to have fun and relax. It was the time to get out and about and visit people . Yet this summer I had about 2 weeks of summer and then a lock down. I thought I was pretty good at keeping things low key and responding to pressure, but even my supposed skills are being put to the test here.

People talked, ok my granparents talked, about how it was like during the Depression and WWII. How even though that was one of the toughest times of their lives it was also one of the most rewarding times of their lives. They would say how important it was to have people going through a common struggle and the bonds that it created. Said better, the joint suffering of an entire population brought that population closer together. It made it so that you would have to rely on other people in order to survive. It made communities.

The bar exam just seems to be dividing communities. Made this is the unique characteristics of Chicago, but it seems to be dividing people more and more. I remember that back in law school (as if it was soo long ago) we would actually work together and prepare for exams in pairs or threes. Now, people seem to be using deception and misdirection as if it was the old law school days-- you know the ones that people write about in badly written books intended to scare students. I really yearn for the helping hands of my old buddies down in the dirty south.

No comments: