Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Back on the Bike

After 48 hours off the bike I decided it was time to get back on the bike and try to sweat off the embarr-arse-ment of dehydrating in a race that I could have placed in. I did the normal easy route down and around the block (ok a little beyond the end of the block but not much further). Amazingly I passed a girl in a VW with the top down. She stopped at a stop light and I rolled up next to her pausing for a second before I ran the red light (seriously why do I even bother paying attention to the law?) The top was down on her VW and the sun was beating in except she might have been the most pale thing ever. I don't think that she has seen the sun all summer. She must really be studying hard for the bar exam!!! It is sad to think that, this was really my first thought.

I'm solidly convinced that the people who write the model essay answers in my book are not very popular people. I have a feeling that they were not the people that I would have hung out with in college or even now. They are those people who would always have the hand up in class and were trying to impress their fellow law school mates with their knowledge of the rule against-who-could-care-less. We had our fair share of those gunners in class.

My barbri class was full of them. Including little miss I went to an Ivy League law school. Just cause you went to such a school doesn't mean that you are free to be a nasty and disgusting human being. I mean honestly, you still need to shower and wear clothes that were made for you and not for you 300 pound overweight boyfriend. Honestly, Chicago is the place where people come who want to get away from people like that. Just cause your blood is blue doesn't mean that people here don't expect you to wear a blue collar and get your work on. So come to class, sit down and shut up. No one here cares about your life or what is happening in SoHo (hell I don't even know where that really is...nor do I care). Oh and need I forget to tell you that I paid less in 3 years of law school as an out-of-state student then you did in one semester and guess what...I still have the same job that you have. So in 2045 when you are still paying off your loans and I am retired on my boat in the mediterranean think about that.

That is what I love about Chicago. I mean it's cold and rush hour blows but people are so down to earth, well everyone except for a few people from the northside, but they are not invited into my ever-shrinking-circle of friends. The entire philosophy of the new world just flowed so well into Chicago's theory. Some places out east still care about who your father was and what you did before you were even born. Not here, here all that matters is who you are. You work hard and you earn hard. Your lazy or aristocratic and I guarantee you that there'll be someone out there who will knock you down to where you belong...on the bottom. I guess the bottom-line is, if you want to succeed and you've got a strong back and good work ethic come to Chicago. Otherwise the train back to New York leaves from Union Station and I suggest you get on it.

No comments: