Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rocky Mountain High: Cycling in the West Part 1






After returning from a whirlwind adventure of bike racing, weddings and other things that often times leave me with that awstruck look of the white elephant sticker that Adam Mills and Ben Coles once put on my helmet I am ready to recount the events of the last month. My dearest friend Smiff-dog:

was recently wed. I voyaged out to the land of Pikes Peak for my first tour of the "inter-mountain west." The first day I arrived in C-Springs it was 70 degrees. The next morning it snowed:


However, undaunted I put on what warm cycling clothes I had and rode into the mountains (keep in mind the next leg on my tour was LA). These were my first rides with the new power tap. I can imagine only that the results might be a little skewed by the lack of any air at all in Colorado. I think I saw a lot of mph that were less than 10 as I ascended roads that back home should normally gave me no pause...and likely at this time of year a sun tan.

I am bound and determined this year to get down to climbing weight for my assaults up Middlebury and Appalachian Gaps. I am returning to Vermont to conquer the latter climb which destroyed my legs and made me rethink giving up pools and Ft. Lauderdale for a bike and the open random road. Labor Day Weekend, which is strangely not that far away, will be my final racing weekend of the season. I have decided to try my hand at the Green Mountain Stage Race which goes over the same climbs that I did my senior year of college at cycling nationals. Amazingly what cracked me that day wasn't the two tall climbs but a smaller wall of a climb which shredded the field.

However my excursion to Colorado was not without its share of shenanigans:


It is a pleasure to see the greatest among equals that is Brian Michael "Knight" Murphy. As you can tell time has not changed the myth of this man. He still is a giant who lives with us. An unequaled master of his domain. And still the only man in this world that I know who is loved so very much by women twice his size.

No comments: