Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hill with a Chapel, North Cackalacky


I always attempt to pay great attention to detail, so in titling this post I sought out sources for the correct spelling of Cackalacky. I consulted the internet's more reliable sources including ghettodictionary.com but eventually settled on the spelling above from wikipedia. A side-note, wikipedia should never be used in Court as a source for anything.

Let's not kid ourselves, Chapel Hill has legit riding. I spent the last half of the week in the carolina blue paradise that is UNC. As it is less than a 5 hour drive and only about a 1 hour flight I opted for the former and brought the bike with me. I wish there was some mathematical formula that would indicate when I should fly somewhere or when I should drive there. Some formula which says that the aggrevation of going to the airport, getting through security, waiting for the flight, dealing with annoying passengers and trying to leave the airport equals X number of hours of driving. So all you would do is add that total to the flight time and see which is shorter.

Something strange about NC roads. Not sure how it happens but all of a sudden they have a habit of turning to gravel for a short distance and then right back to beautiful pavement. Riding there really reminded me of the roads back in Jackson. The hills weren't that bad and the terrain was full of tall pine and small farms. There however seems to be an obsession with naming things boro: carrboro, tarboro, greensboro, hillsborough, etc...

After riding I hit up Spanky's and the Carolina Brewery, two local establishments. The former had a great burger and the latter had a pretty decent selection of beverages. I became intwined in a conversation with a New Zealander about sports and hush puppies. He had never heard of a hush puppy before and was confused about what it was. He didn't seem all that impressed with our explanation either. The bartender, a guy from Boston who does a local radio show, joined in and tried to explain. Looking back on that I see the irony of two guys not from the South trying to explain to someone not from America what a Southern staple is. No doubt it probably left him perplexed and heading for the nearest airport back down under.

All this time at UNC got me thinkng about the old days back on Mt. Oread. I decided while taking pictures around campus that I would pack up the soon to be new car and head on out to Lawrence for some much needed R&R and to get back to my roots. So in August I'm point the car west and rolling down 'ol 70. I'm not coming back until I'm satisfied. Or I run out of annual leave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly appreciate it.

Adam Mills said...

Road Trip! I recommend flying and mailing your bike to KS. You can do it round trip for $40- ish.