Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sweet Home Chicago

I was able to go home twice within the last two weeks. It was great to see Mom and Dad and to have some decent pizza. I've missed being home but haven't missed the craziness that is Chicago traffic. Mayor Daley, in his infinite genius has put palm trees on the Oak St. beach.

That's literally a palm tree in front of The Drake hotel and the John Hancock building. I've spent a lot of time staying at The Drake which is just a great hotel. The rooms are huge and very plush. I mean you literally fall into the beds which is such a good feeling. My legs have been absolutely murdered these last couple of weeks.

Coach Adam and I have been trying to improve my crit riding ability and my power coming off the corners. At the crit in Tour of Washington I was putting out over 600 watts once a lap and that ate away at my legs (not to mention the random ambulance that was outside of the corner for half the race). This weekend is the MABRA Crit Championships and we'll see if my power has improved.

I feel that it's become a lot easier to put up bigger numbers repetitively and I'm hoping that it shows this weekend. When I first started training with a PowerTap I was impressed to see a number over 1000. I thought that it was crazy but now I hit those numbers two or three times a day during my normal workouts. I'll have to really open it up some day and see what my top number is now.

3 comments:

Adam Mills said...

Good luck Rob. If you had legs like deese, you would be able to make more Powa!

http://arnoldaloisschwarzenegger.com/images/arnold_2.gif

Ben-in-UK said...

I'm no fancy carmichael certified coach, but the lack of power out of corners sounds to me like an over application of brakes in a corner...safety sucks

Rob said...

Ben you are a genius. I have now turned all my breaks off. In fact I'm not even going to have brake pads in there any more.