Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sprinters Beware...

...RFK is the last of the bone-flat untechnical crit/circuit races of the year. Well, at least the last one that I'm signed up for in MABRA. From this point on out the road turns uphill and me and my lightweight cohorts are getting ready to throw down.

I won't retell too much of the story of RFK just to say that I tried to break it up. If I read my power data right, I threw myself off the front no fewer than 3 times. In the end an 11th place in a field sprint that was as organized as a Walmart opening on Black Friday.

Again, Amy Jones was there to capture a couple images. Thank heavens we not only have talented bike racers in MABRA, but also really good photographers and Joe Jefferson calling the races too. Notice the pain being displayed and the almost emotionless-where-are-the-white-elephants look on my face. Plus the uber cool argyle socks that I'm rocking.
I'm out in Kansas again chasing some leads and getting ready for a weekend of hardcore racing at Tulsa Tough. I've heard a lot about these races and cannot wait to see the best of Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas-- I ain't scared. This marks the beginning of a journey that has me racing 18 races in a row outside of MABRA in the next two months before returning for Coppi.

4 comments:

DJ Bike Police said...

Ride Sally Ride is pretty untechical and well suited for us sprinters as well.

Unknown said...

Pretty much every course in D20 is well suited for a sprinter. Except for Murad, and only because there are enough Russ-types to end all sprinters on the last drag.

Greg said...

they only make argyle cycling socks due to the popularity of Garmin-Chipotle. Wearing them is only a small step from wearing team replica.

Ben-in-UK said...

'Sprinters' are knobs. Anyway, just curious, Rob, you seem to travel a lot, and far beit from an academic to critique one's working hours, but what do you do for a living that allows such far flung traveling...do I need a shiny box cut suit or something?